Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sometimes the wilderness is the better way

In Exodus 13:17-18, we see that God made a decision.  He could have led the Israelites into the land of the Philistines which would have made for a faster deliverance.  BUT, He knew that they would be afraid because the Philistines were a fearsome people. (think Goliath) So instead, he took them into the wilderness.  He TOOK them into the wilderness.  Think about that for just a moment.  They did not end up there, God led them into the wilderness as the better option!

One of the definitions of wilderness in Webster is "an empty or pathless area or region." I think about times in my life that I  define as "wilderness", and I reflect with sadness and heartache.  But what if, just what if, they were the better option?

See, in our society, we want everything fast...fast food, high-speed internet...we are looking for a drive-thru deliverance.  But God wants the best deliverance! So next time I am feeling the emptiness of the path, I am going to try to stop thinking about how long I've been there, and look for the pillar of cloud or the pillar of fire.  Because just like He did for the Israelites, He never stops leading in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment